The Policy Director is the primary resource person for all CalCAN staff and coalition members on policy strategy development and implementation in our portfolio of issue areas. They coordinate and support the CalCAN team on all research, bill drafting, lobbying, and legislative and administrative policy development for initiatives that advance organic and sustainable agriculture solutions to the climate crisis. The Policy Director is a member of CalCAN’s management team along with the Director of Communications & Partnerships and Executive Director. Together, the management team is responsible for developing CalCAN’s policy initiatives, for coordinating an integrated strategy to advance them, and for ensuring the financial health of the organization. The Policy Director reports to the Executive Director. Learn more and apply today.
- Demonstrated interest in and familiarity with sustainable agriculture and/or climate change, and a commitment to social justice
- Experience drafting legislation, policy briefs and white papers, and comment letters
- Commitment and experience working in strategic coalitions or networks as an organizing strategy for advancing policy change
- Excellent written and verbal communications and public speaking skills
- Training and/or work experience utilizing communications tools and traditional and social media in an advocacy setting
- Management experience supervising staff
- Self-directed, entrepreneurial and collaborative work style
- Willingness to work around a demanding legislative schedule and administrative deadlines
- Strong project management skills and the ability to stay on deadline while managing multiple projects
Location: The successful candidate has the option of working part-time from home, with a requirement to be based at CalCAN’s Sacramento office several days per month to maintain a presence in the Capitol.
Salary & Benefits: CalCAN offers competitive non-profit salary and benefits. This position is a full time, non-exempt position that offers excellent benefits including generous vacation, health, dental, and long-term disability insurance. Salary will be dependent on qualifications and experience, within the range of $80,000 to $92,000.
Application Process: Please submit a resume, a recent writing sample (five pages maximum), a cover letter highlighting your experience and skills relevant to the listed qualifications, and 3-5 references. If possible, use this Google Form link to submit your application. If for any reason that presents a barrier, feel free to email your materials to [email protected]. Applications will be accepted until a suitable candidate is identified, and interviews will begin in late April. The ideal start date is June 15, 2022.