One way SBCFAN is connecting, aligning, and activating food system actors is by collaborating with Santa Barbara County farmers markets, Santa Barbara County Public Health, and Edible Santa Barbara to launch the Stay Home (and Eat Local) for the Holidays Campaign. Together, we have developed a safe, affordable, and healthy option for celebrating the holidays – and supporting our local farmers – during the COVID-19 pandemic.
How It Works
- Shop at a participating farmers market during the 2020 holiday season.
- Check in at the farmers market info booth and grab a shopping guide (or download a guide in English or Español) – includes suggested budgets for small gatherings, sample menu, shopping list with easy-to-follow market map, and recipes by Edible Santa Barbara magazine.
- Explore the market and discover delicious and affordable in-season produce to showcase on your holiday table.
- Ask farmers market staff if you need assistance finding an ingredient or want advice on recipes or substitutions.
- Enjoy a locally sourced holiday meal with your household.
No matter what you decide to make, you’ll be supporting our local food system while feeding your household a fresh, nutritious meal. From our table to yours – stay home, be safe, and eat well.
THANK YOU PARTNERS
Participating Farmers Markets
Starting Saturday, November 21 through the 2020 holiday season
- 8:30 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. – SBCFMA Downtown Santa Barbara
- 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. – Route 1 Farmers Market, Vandenberg Village
- 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. – SBCFMA Goleta
- 2:45 p.m. – 6:30 p.m. – SBCFMA Oldtown Santa Barbara
- 2:30 p.m. – 6:00 p.m. – SBCFMA Solvang
How To Budget For Your Holiday Feast
A common myth is that shopping local is expensive. If you focus on in-season produce, prices at farmers markets are comparable to those you’ll find at the grocery store – and you’ll enjoy the freshest food available, direct from our local farms
Our shopping guide includes a sample menu with a variety of seasonal side dishes – select four and feed your household of four for just $40. Follow our suggestions or create your own menu based on your household’s favorite in-season produce.
Fill your table with any four seasonal sides for:
$40 Household of 4
$55 Household of 6-8
If you have extra room in your budget, consider adding these items to your meal
Locally raised meat (turkey, chicken, lamb, beef, or pork) and seafood
Homemade pies, pastries, or desserts
Fresh baked bread, pasta, or grains
Olives or olive oil
Nuts or nut butters
Honey or dates