(Please note this is a sub-committee of the Higher Education Impact Group)
Partners: Santa Barbara City College, Allan Hancock College, University of California Santa Barbara, SBC Department of Social Services, SBC Public Health Department, Foodbank of SBC
Food Action Plan Goals activated:
- Priority Goal 6: Support the development of neighborhood networks of volunteers to provide peer-to-peer education and empowerment to food insecure community members to improve their health.
— CalFresh Application Assistors/Advocate and Basic Needs Peer Advisors on each Higher Education campus “providing peer-to-peer education and empowerment”
- Goal 8: Integrate food literacy into all school campus cultures—including in-school and out-of school programs—throughout Santa Barbara County.
— All of our campuses are doing a lot of this work!
— Also integrating this through the same peer advisors/events doing CalFresh outreach
- Goal 11: Increase affordability and accessibility to healthy, safe, environmentally-sound, locally grown food for all residents of Santa Barbara County
— Increased access to CalFresh and use of Market Match
- Expand CalFresh enrollment of higher education students
- Bring Restaurant Meals Program (RMP) for CalFresh to SB County
- Share best practices between campuses
- Expand cross-trainings between DSS and campuses